Re: Proper credit for work done -- on finding chairs (was CHANGE THE JOB)

2013-10-20 00:52:56

On Oct 20, 2013, at 6:03 AM, Mark Nottingham <mnot(_at_)mnot(_dot_)net> wrote:

On 20/10/2013, at 3:51 AM, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

If you go back to my original message on this topic, the issue was
that in many organizations, for better or worse, they measure your
productivity by the amount of author credit you get, which is why we
see scientific papers with 50 or more co-authors.

We're not publishing academic papers here, we're creating Internet Standards.
If a spec doesn't have enough market demand to have someone pony up WG chair
resources to help it through the process, maybe that should tell us something.

Does it ever work that way? Did a manager ever tell you, "the market needs a
re-write of the HTTP documents, and being the good corporate citizens that we
are, go ahead and volunteer to chair httpbis" ?

Even for the actual writing of drafts, there's multiple examples of resources
being found for documents that the market does not demand, and for documents
that are useful and it's hard to find people willing to edit/contribute/review.
Corporations would rationally prefer to wait for some other body to pony up
their human resources. The only reason we have a relatively large pool of WG
chairs is that the cost is low enough such that medium to large corporations
can consider this "in the noise". Apparently the time allocation for an AD job
is not that insignificant.

Yoav