Re: Proper credit for work done -- on finding chairs (was CHANGE THE JOB)

2013-10-19 11:52:37
What is the purpose?
What would be the implication?

If you go back to my original message on this topic, the issue was
that in many organizations, for better or worse, they measure your
productivity by the amount of author credit you get, which is why we
see scientific papers with 50 or more co-authors.

So if more author credit to WG chairs and ADs would help them persuade
their management or tenure committee or whatever that they've been
doing work that is worth supporting, we should give more author
credit.

If we think this would help, my inclination would be to put them in
the author list, and if we have a big ugly author list that runs
halfway down the page, so what?

R's,
John

PS: In case it's not obvious, the document format is a nit.  The issue
is what will help people get funding for key IETF jobs.

Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)                           M. Chen
Request for Comments: 6829                  Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd
Updates: 4379                                                     P. Pan
Category: Standards Track                                       Infinera
ISSN: 2070-1721                                             C. Pignataro
                                                                R. Asati
                                                                   Cisco
                                                          A. Farrel (AD)
                                                                 Juniper