Re: Proper credit for work done -- on finding chairs (was CHANGE THE JOB)

2013-10-19 21:35:45
Folks,

I like where Henning is taking this, much more appropriate than the
first page thing. Though I think the Shepherd should be mentioned
separately.

One thing I consider important is that the Acknowledgment is a place
where author might read what they want. However adding the type of text
Henning proposes does not change that.

Yes I've the experience that talking to people that for one or another
reason want to do business with me, my name on RFC and/or ID is
important. This is not only in the academic world.

/Loa

On 2013-10-20 09:19, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
I don't think it makes any difference in academia, but I see no problem with a one sentence
addition in the acknowledgements section along the lines of "This document is a product of the
FOO working group, chaired by Alice and Bob, within the BAR area, with Carol as the responsible
area director.", with a suitable free-form recognition ("Only their periodic public
floggings of the authors caused this document to be finished.") added as relevant. The working
group is often mentioned already, as far as I can tell.

I personally think this would be a good social custom, just as the recognition
of reviewers has become reasonably standard, without being governed by formal
rules. Shepherds might ask or suggest, as needed.

In academia, WG chair and AD responsibilities would generally be recognized as "professional
service and leadership", similar to chairing academic conferences, advisory committees and
other service to professional societies. Most US institutions expect this type of leadership from
faculty, and are flexible in what form it takes, but it is probably considered a secondary
criterion in most places. It can, however, be used by writers of recommendation letters as evidence
of community standing and that tends to have non-trivial weight. ("Alice served on the
prestigious IESG that manages Internet standards, and in this role ...") At least in US tenure
cases, peer letters tend to play a dominant role, rather than just paper or citation counting.
While the industrial research landscape seems to be changing (less academic-like), this used to be
the case in places like Bell Labs and IBM Research as well.

[I have served as a CS department chair, so this is based on personal
experience.]

Henning