Re: CHANGE THE JOB (was Re: NOMCOM - Time-Critical - Final Call for Nominations)

2013-10-18 14:23:24
I support that any assistant to the AD should be assigned and supervised by
that AD, in this way we create experience and may be train a new AD for
future.

The AD is free to assign/delegate tasks to those announced in the area site
or he/she free to do tasks all alone, we may call it AD team or group
(similar to design team work for WG but team has no authority). I always
work thinking that I am assistant to AD and WG within IETF, because we all
share volunteering and team work.

We don't have to name the assistant position as assistant AD, it is the job
what matters which reduces AD time of input, but that assistant should not
have AD authorities or even partial, this way many people will like to do
without responsibility pressure, and gain experience with AD task(s) and
working under AD management/ team.

AB

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Adrian Farrel
<adrian(_at_)olddog(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk<javascript:;>>
wrote:
I have asked you and other ADs several times if Assistant ADs would
help.
The answer I got was "not really, but a well run directorate really
helps.".

OK. Doesn't sound like refusing to consider. Sounds like answering your
question.

So let's take it to the next step because it may be that the current
IESG cannot
conceive of how an assistant AD would work.

Can you put up a strawman of the job tasks of an assistant AD that we
can work
with to discuss whether this has legs?
Would assistant ADs be appointed and work for sitting ADs, or would they
be
NomCom appointments?
Can't an AD already delegate anything they want (except the
responsibility)?

Why not double the number of ADs in each area and instead of
every AD reviewing every draft, have 2 ADs from each area
review each draft? (Cut the AD hours in half somehow)

There is mileage in that. I don't think every AD reviews every document.
Some
pairs of ADs consciously split the load. Some ADs don't do detailed
reviews of
documents in other areas or just focus on specific topics.

But we must get off the idea that document review is the whole of the AD
load. I
think it is only around 15-20%. Maybe that rises with pursuit of
Discusses
(moral: don't raise Discusses). That doesn't mean that other parts of
the load
couldn't be shifted.

Cheers,
Adrian