Re: Proposed IETF Anti-Harassment Policy

2013-10-21 08:40:11
Jari,

Overall, I think it's the right direction.  Just some minor issues:

On 10/20/13 7:44 PM, IETF Chair wrote:
--- Draft Statement ---

IETF Anti-Harassment Policy

IETF meetings, virtual meetings, and mailing lists are intended for
professional
collaboration and networking. The IETF strives to create and maintain an
environment in which people are treated with dignity, decency, and respect.
Those who participate in the IETF are expected to behave according to
professional standards and demonstrate appropriate workplace behavior. While
participating in the IETF, communication between participants should be
appropriate for a professional audience including people of many different
backgrounds.

While our processes let chairs deal with disruptive public behaviors on
mailing
lists and in IETF face-to-face meetings, harassment is a serious problem that
warrants special attention. IETF participants should not engage in harassment
while at IETF meetings, virtual meetings, social events, or on mailing lists.
Harassment is unwelcome hostile or intimidating behavior, in particular speech
and behavior that is sexually aggressive or intimidates based on attributes
like
race, gender, religion, age, color, national origin, ancestry, disability,
sexual orientation, or gender identity. Harassment of this sort will not be
tolerated in the IETF. Harassment includes the use of offensive language or
sexual imagery in public presentations and displays, degrading verbal
comments,
deliberate intimidation, stalking, harassing photography or recording,
inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention.

You have broken up the definition with the declaration that "Harassment
of this sort will not be tolerated in the IETF."  My suggestion is to
move that sentence below and change "Harassment includes" to "Examples
of harassment are", as I don't think you intended that to be an
exhaustive list.

Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply
immediately. If you believe you have been harassed, notice that
someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, you are encouraged
to raise your concern in confidence with one of the Ombudspersons.

If these standards are violated, appropriate action will be taken.

I would more clearly what the consequences could be.  Something like "up
to and including banning the offending individual from IETF activities,
including mailing lists and meetings".   Also explain who will take the
action and what appeals avenues the individual has.  Presumably it will
be the IESG.

Also, if it hasn't happened already, please ask counsel to review.

Eliot