Re: IETF working language

2014-03-09 17:23:25

On 09 Mar 2014, at 23:07, Arturo Servin
<arturo(_dot_)servin(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 2:49 PM, <l(_dot_)wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>
wrote:
My proposal was not that there be mandatory assessment, but that the level be
met.

Either way, not at all thrilled about it.

+1.

The proof of ability to collaborate in English in an open environment such as
the IETF is actually doing so. After a decade of collaborating in multilingual
English-working-language environments where I'm often the only native speaker,
I've learned that clarity of thought and clarity of expression are completely
separate from proficiency with language, and that the former are more important
in communicating and collaborating effectively in an environment like the IETF.
So even providing guidance for people to self-assess (e.g., my guess would be
"English at CEFR Level B2 or better") would probably be misleading.

Regards,

Brian