RE: IETF working language

2014-03-21 03:51:16

If one (except English) of the six U.N.'s official languages was chosen for
IETF language, what is your feeling?

For your proposal, I think it would be more disruptive than constructive,
because it will actually exclude the non-native English speakers who speak poor
(or not good) English to participate in IETF activity by requiring this kind of
English level. (Note that I think many non-native English speaker might aslo
feel insulting to get some qualification).

Those people who speak "low quality" English usually feel more frustrated and
much more pressure than the corresponding native English speakers, who like to
mumble and speak fast, so they try very hard to improve their English. While
they are working hard to improve their English, I would suggest the native
English speakers take the "BIG" privilege (since English is IETF language) to
speak simple words and speak clearly as many excellent WG chairs do.

In addition, I think it would be more challenging in ITU-T (many non-native
English participants including Asian people) than IETF if there was an English
issue in IETF, because everything should be done including drafting work during
the ITU-T living meeting. However, IETF work is mainly done through the mailing
list, and most of the non-native English people should be competent for reading
and writing.

Best Regards

Fatai