Re: how do we make the IETF working language work?

2014-03-11 11:06:51
On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker
<hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM, t.p. <daedulus(_at_)btconnect(_dot_)com>
wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Levine" <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2014 6:31 PM
I'm more concerned with reading and writing.

I still don't understand what this is supposed to mean in practice.

There have been I-D's that desperately needed the help of a competent
English speaker to rewrite parts where the language was so fractured
that I couldn't figure it out.  In my experience, people with poor
English skills who come to the IETF are doing the best they can, so
this suggests that if you (the general you) see a draft of interest
with language problems, it would be a good idea to offer to edit or
coauthor it.

How?  (seriously)

I have tried editing the xml and get a sense of why it can be so hard to
write coherent English in that markup language.  I have tried editing
the text in the direction I think that it should go but then it is
unclear what changes I am suggesting.  I have tried my own markup
/*rgurnggkjik/regurgitate?/ which I understand but others do not:-(

How about HTML?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-rfctool-02

I have a tool that does the conversion. I'll get it packaged up. Runs on
Windows, Linux, OSX or any other platform supported by mono or .NET

I know that I am going to sound heretical, but I do not find  editing
XML by hand with a normal basic editor (e.g., jedit, gedit, emacs,
...) really hard.  It is annoying, I agree, with all those
<stuff>...</stuff>, but the markup does not interfere, in my opinion,
with the normal text meaning. [Disclaimer: I am a LaTeX user, so maybe
I am used to mixing (or shaking :) markup  and text and writing
without seeing the final outcome.]  I typically use jedit whose
XML-mode makes a good work in simplifying XML editing (e.g., closing
tags, suggesting node attributes, and so on).

The only difficulty that sometimes I experience is that you can get
lost in all the <section>...</section> nesting, so you do not know at
which nesting level you are.

Riccardo

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/