RE: IETF working language

2014-03-09 16:50:11
My proposal was not that there be mandatory assessment, but that the level be
met.

That's broadly in line with the rest of the IETF, which doesn't assess
someone's ability to do Internet engineering, or check credentials or
qualifications to be able to do so, either. (Which may explain the design of
the protocol the reader immediately thought of.)

In both cases, assuming everyone is capable works well - except in those cases
where it clearly doesn't.

Lloyd Wood
http://about.me/lloydwood
From: Arturo Servin [arturo(_dot_)servin(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: 09 March 2014 21:15
To: Wood L  Dr (Electronic Eng)
Cc: Scott Brim; <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org> list
Subject: Re: IETF working language

On Sat, Mar 8, 2014 at 1:53 PM,
<l(_dot_)wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk<mailto:l(_dot_)wood(_at_)surrey(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>>
 wrote:
I'm more concerned with reading and writing.

And I more concerned about the lack of empathy that native English speakers
have regarding non-native.

Also, as a non-native speaker of English that has put a lot of effort to learn
a second language I found very insulting that I would need to be assessed in my
understanding and use of English to participate in the IETF.

Regards,
as