Re: (DMARC) Why mailing lists are only sort of special

2014-04-17 10:31:22
MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf [mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Yoav Nir
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:27 AM
To: mrex(_at_)sap(_dot_)com
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

On Apr 17, 2014, at 4:11 PM, Martin Rex <mrex(_at_)sap(_dot_)com> wrote:

Yoav Nir wrote:
On Apr 17, 2014, at 9:35 AM, Dave Cridland <dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net> wrote:
Right now, my MUA treats this as a message "From John R Levine
<johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com>". This means that any policy on the message
origination comes from looking solely at the taugh.com domain. We'll
pretend it has a DMARC policy. Herein lies the Yahoo/DMARC issue,
because unless your policy essentially stipulates that the IETF is
allowed to spoof you, we're stuck.
Then perhaps this is what needs to change. John R Levine did not send
you a message. He sent a message to the list. It is the list software
that sent you a message. So perhaps the From field should have been
?From: IETF Mailing list on behalf of John R Levine <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>?.
But that is EXACTLY what the IETF mailing list exploder *IS* doing
exactly as it has been specified for ages:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc822#appendix-A.2

            The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
   that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible
   for the writing of the message.  The "Sender:" field specifies the
   mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the
   message.