Re: DMARC: perspectives from a listadmin of large open-source lists

2014-04-14 19:53:27
S Moonesamy wrote:

Mailing list traffic is not significant in comparison with overall mail traffic. At the risk of sounding insensitive there isn't a business case for some providers to support mailing list traffic. I would consider John Levine's point about making it out of scope. There's still the problem of what to do about mailing lists.

Depends on what you mean by "significant."

I'm probably being redundant here, after my previous response to Dave - but I expect that once you filter out the 90% of traffic that's pure spam, email traffic is a VERY significant portion of what's left. (For that matter, it's probably true of postal mail too. Most of what comes through the slot is junk mail, throw that away and it's a mix of personal mail and magazines.)

Not that much different than email being a wart on the side of Internet traffic - until you filter out the video. By transaction count, email dwarfs everything else, probably even after discounting for spam.

Now, if you're an ISP or ESP that makes money off of sending bulk email, or providing a home for outbound spammers, maybe you don't consider list traffic to be "significant." But if you're an individual email USER - I expect that one or two email lists represent the MOST significant part of your email stream.

Miles