Re: (DMARC) Why mailing lists are only sort of special

2014-04-17 08:12:08
Yoav Nir wrote:

On Apr 17, 2014, at 9:35 AM, Dave Cridland <dave(_at_)cridland(_dot_)net>
wrote:

Right now, my MUA treats this as a message
"From John R Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com>". This means that any policy
on the message origination comes from looking solely at the taugh.com
domain. We'll pretend it has a DMARC policy. Herein lies the
Yahoo/DMARC issue, because unless your policy essentially stipulates
that the IETF is allowed to spoof you, we're stuck.

Then perhaps this is what needs to change. John R Levine did not send
you a message. He sent a message to the list. It is the list software
that sent you a message. So perhaps the From field should have been
?From: IETF Mailing list on behalf of John R Levine
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>?.

But that is EXACTLY what the IETF mailing list exploder *IS* doing
exactly as it has been specified for ages:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc822#appendix-A.2

            The "From:" field specifies the author(s) of the message,
   that is, the mailbox(es) of the person(s) or system(s) responsible
   for the writing of the message.  The "Sender:" field specifies the
   mailbox of the agent responsible for the actual transmission of the
   message.