Re: Webmail is implementation, not Internet architecture (was Re: Change the mailing list protocol, not DMARC.)

2014-06-14 09:40:58
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 3:14 AM, Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net>> wrote:

    On 6/12/2014 6:33 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
    > On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM, John C Klensin
    <john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com <mailto:john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com>
    >     (2) One of those changes --support for remote body parts-- was
    >     incorporated into MIME in its very first version and contains
    >     most of the mechanism needed to support what I understand PHB is
    >     recommending for PUSH-PULL-PULL.  It has been implemented in
    >     several places but has gotten very little traction in the mail
    >     sending and receiving community.  IMO, it ought to be incumbent
    >     on anyone proposing a different "get notification, then retrieve
    >     mail from server" model explain why their ideas will be more
    >     successful than that 20-odd-year-old MIME mechanism.
    >
    > In a word - WebMail.

    This is a classic confusion between software implementation and
    operation, vesus networking architecture.

    Webmail is nothing more than a particular style of user interface,
integrated into the operations of a particular service.

It is the mode used by the majority of mail users today. Which makes it rather more than just technology from a deployment point of view.

That's almost certainly not true, or it's certainly highly questionable.

Two words:
1. Outlook
2. Smartphones