email client popularity [was Webmail is implementation, not Internet architecture (was Re: Change the mailing list protocol, not DMARC.)]

2014-06-14 15:15:16
Ned,

On 15/06/2014 02:42, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:
Some data to support this conclusion:
[that webmail is not dominant]

  http://emailclientmarketshare.com/

Hmm. I was curious about what those numbers really measure.
Judging by http://litmus.com/email-analytics, it seems that
they refer to a sample of emails that (a) contained a specific
HTML snippet and were (b) opened as HTML by the clients and
(c) by implication, had been sent via a mailing list. It seems
very likely to me that the sample consisted of spam. I'm
not sure that the numbers reflect unbiased statistics, unless
you're a spammer. In any case they don't indicate how many
people open email in plain text mode (which I alway do if
possible, precisely to avoid embedded code).

That said, they certainly show that one size doesn't fit all.

Does anyone have statistics of POP3 vs IMAP vs split-UI?

    Brian