Re: email client popularity [was Webmail is implementation, not Internet architecture (was Re: Change the mailing list protocol, not DMARC.)]

2014-06-16 13:41:02
I also wonder about the accuracy of the numbers. They say Apple’s MUAs
command 44% of the email MUA market (iPhone+iPad+MacOS).

That seems just a tiny bit high, considering Apple commands 40% of all
smartphones, 33% of all tablets, and under 8% of desktops.

All they are saying that those are the email clients they see accessing the
messages sent by the folks who use their service. This has very little to do
with the phone/laptop  market overall. A lot of people never access their email
from their smart phone or tablet; indeed, there are a fair number who never do
anything "smart" with their phone at all.

Assuming the numbers are actually representative of mobile email use on a
broader scale, at most what they are telling you is that the percentage of
people who actually make use of their phone's capabilities for email may be
higher for iPhones/iPads.

                                Ned

On Jun 14, 2014, at 4:21 PM, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com