Re: IETF-91 Question - Hilton Hawaiian village construction and resort fee

2014-08-09 13:06:43

--On Saturday, August 09, 2014 13:42 -0400 Ray Pelletier
<rpelletier(_at_)isoc(_dot_)org> wrote:

Mary

Thanks for the questions.

There is construction at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, but
during IETF 91 there will be no construction Monday through
Thursday. Construction will resume on Friday.

Ray,

I hate to ask this question but how confident are you about
those promises?  Several of us have not-very-fond memories of
what I assume was a large rotary hammer/ drill at the Fairmont
(or several of them) but I'd assume the hotel would consider
that "a little drilling" or "preparation for the next round of
construction" not "construction".   So

(1) Do you have a clear agreement about what constitutes
"construction" in the contract, ideally one that you would be
willing to share with us?

(2) If there is any ambiguity in that agreement, does the hotel,
an outside contractor, or we get to decide whether something is
"construction" or not?  (Clearly we didn't have much useful
input at the Fairmont because they were drilling/hammering all
week).

(3) Are the provisions of that agreement strong enough that, if
the prohibition were violated, the hotel would feel serious
pain, not just, e.g., the guarantee that we would never return
and/or the need to discount a few rooms?

Finally, if they are able to postpone construction for
Monday-Thursday, what is the plan for the meetings, classes, and
side-events that normally occur on Saturday and Sunday?  We've
been in hotels with "no construction during the meeting days"
promises before when the pre-meeting weekend has been completely
disrupted.

Finally, has the IESG agreed to not schedule WG meetings for
Friday?  If not, what is the justification for an agreement that
could result in its being impossible or at least terribly
difficult for WGs  scheduled on  Friday to get work done?

   john