Re: IETF registration fee increase from 2015

2014-10-01 12:21:09
On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 11:58:53AM -0500, Mary Barnes wrote:
[MB] I just registered for a W3C meeting and that was $75.00/day and they
will be providing me a gluten-free lunch.  So, that would be $600 for 6
meeting days. [/MB]

As Ray pointed out, however, the fruit:vegetable comparison issues
show up pretty quickly, even with other SDOs working in similar areas.
W3C, for example, is a membership organization, and so it not only has
the meeting fees but also the corporate fees (which, for US firms, is
either $2250, $7900, or $68500 per year).

(I have no opinion on the fee increase.  I just don't think
comparisons with other orgs are too helpful here.  I'd be more
influenced by value for money arguments; I haven't seen one yet.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com