Re: IETF registration fee increase from 2015

2014-10-01 14:31:11
On Oct 1, 2014, at 2:25 PM, Mary Barnes
<mary(_dot_)h(_dot_)barnes(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Andrew Sullivan
<ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 01, 2014 at 11:58:53AM -0500, Mary Barnes wrote:
[MB] I just registered for a W3C meeting and that was $75.00/day and they
will be providing me a gluten-free lunch.  So, that would be $600 for 6
meeting days. [/MB]

As Ray pointed out, however, the fruit:vegetable comparison issues
show up pretty quickly, even with other SDOs working in similar areas.
W3C, for example, is a membership organization, and so it not only has
the meeting fees but also the corporate fees (which, for US firms, is
either $2250, $7900, or $68500 per year).
[MB] Actually, I'm attending the meetings as an observer, although, I think
I'm now legally an individual participant (since I own no IPR, those terms
were easy to agree with).  That's something most other membership based SDOs
don't allow.  In these roles, I'm not required to pay a membership fee in
order to attend meetings. [/MB]

The equivalent would be if we let you come to an IETF meeting where you would
not be allowed to talk or contribute to consensus. Remember, W3C is a
membership organization, and consensus is (when things go south) by member
(corporate) vote.