Re: IETF registration fee increase from 2015

2014-10-02 03:45:17
Early Bird Fee              $650 to $700, or 8%

As Avri said, wrong direction.

However, this increase is in the noise with respect to the changing exchange
rates.
(I’d love to prepay for three meetings in advance at a time the exchange rate
is more reasonable…)

More importantly, this increase is in the noise with respect to total meeting
attendance costs.
And this is where more attention is required.
With Hawaii coming up, I don’t need to belabor the point.
It is also hard to belabor because we don’t really have data.
Clearly, Minneapolis, Berlin, Prague etc. were inexpensive, but we’d need
something like mnot’s travel distance chart (or, better, airline prices at the
respective season) to understand this in a more reasonable, inclusive way.

So my summary is:
— let this one through,
— but don’t stop thinking about we can avoid this becoming a never-ending
ratchet;
— but more importantly invest some more energy in containing the explosion of
total meeting attendance cost.

Grüße, Carsten