Re: IETF registration fee increase from 2015

2014-10-02 15:10:33
Maybe the increase can help with electronic participation improvements.

On 10/2/2014 3:42 PM, John Levine wrote:
Doesn't this move the IETF a bit further along the scale of meetings
that can only be afforded by corporates and rich people.

In a word, no.

I pay my own way to IETF meetings.  For the Honolulu meeting, in
addition to the registration fee, I'm paying about $1000 in airfare,
$1300 for the hotel, $300 for food and incidentals, and I'm probably
forgoing a couple of thousand dollars in income had I stayed home and
worked.  In that context, a $50 fee increase is a rounding error.  Is
there anyone whose trips to meetings are so cheap that $50 is a big
increment?

Also, as you surely know, the IETF has unusually good remote
participation facilities, so anyone with enough computer equipment
to join the e-mail lists where the majority of the work is done can
also use jabber and streaming audio during the meetings.

R's,
John

--
HLS