put the paypal donation button in every rfc?

2014-10-02 09:04:54

I totally agree with Avri's point.
IETF claims that IETF trys to avoid his STD activity to be affected by big
comapanies.
With the increasing of registration fee year by year (many years ago, it is 550
usd), only IETFers supported by big company can easily
join the meeting. The IETFers who are self-funded or funded by small comany
will not easily join the meeting.
For big company, the registration fee whether it is 1000 usd or 700 usd is a
small money, but it is a "big" money for individuals or small companies.

so if the registration fee is increased every few years, is it possible that in
some days only IETFers supported by big company  or "rich" IETFers can
join the face-2-face meeting, other "poor" people can only join it remotely?

does it mean that the future IETF STD activity has to be affected by big
comanies seriously?

I think that we  need to find other finance resource to support IETF's activity.

For example, put the paypal donation button in every rfc. everyone after
reading the rfc can choose to donate some money to IETF's account.
I think that we might learn some wikipedia's donation mechanism.

Jiankang Yao