Re: IETF registration fee increase from 2015

2014-10-02 08:38:43
On 10/2/14 5:34 AM, Eliot Lear wrote:
A number of companies have*already* thrown in a fair amount of money
without asking for votes.  Cisco is hosting the IETF Hawaii meeting.
I don't recall anything saying that the company were asking for
anything in return, although I hope it's not too much to ask that the
IETF deliver high quality relevant technical standards, as the
organization has done for several decades...

Probably the most valuable resource Cisco has provided is some
very capable people, but I hope that there's at least basic
agreement that we don't want to find ourselves in a situation
in which the companies with the deepest pockets have the
most influence over internet standards.  Or rather, it's
probably inevitable that they do, but on balance that's a
negative thing that we struggle against rather than a positive
thing that we seek to perpetuate.

Melinda