Re: IETF registration fee increase from 2015

2014-10-02 11:14:00
On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 01:09:37PM +0200, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
I think we should increase the participation  fees on companies also.
If company X is authoring 5 IETF-drafts with same individual author, I
[...]

That's nice, but often large employers aren't aware of every I-D
submitted by their employees.

Another problem is that only individuals participate at the IETF.  Since
there's no membership of any kind, it's difficult to assess an employer
a fee for their employees' IETF work.

Even if we can address those problems, if we do as you propose you'd
find that large employers would start requiring internal approval for
I-D submission, which would then cause I-D submission rates to go down,
which in turn would be bad because it'd be yet another bar to
standardization.

It is ok as it is only 50. However, it should be considered as contribution
fees also. So we should not say registration fees only.

Contribution on mailing lists, for example, has been free.  Start
charging for contribution and that's the end of the IETF as an open
organization.  Just say NO to such impulses.

There should be a cost for presentation fees. Many participants want to
present and the slots are used without payment that is not fair. I am
paying same amount but some have taken more WG time in presenting.  If one
wants to talk or ask that must be free but presenting should not be free
especially if it is marketing for the authors or their companies
activities.

Time slots are first-come-first-served.  If you have something to
present, you'll get to.  Again, charging for participation would be
suicide for the IETF as it is, leading to disbanding or to a switch to a
membership organization, and then the individuals whom you want to
subsidize will simply go away or be excluded (because why would
deep-pocketed members want to explicitly subsidize shallow-pocketed
members who might get in their way??).

Many companies that participate in IETF but pay no money should be paying
in future.

As an individual, I have to say that that's a sure way to kill the IETF.
No, no, NO, a thousand times NO.

Nico