RE: Last Call: <draft-secretaries-good-practices-06.txt> (IETF Working Groups' Secretaries) to Best Current Practice

2014-12-03 11:35:59
Melinda,

Thanks for clarifying.

... but what concerns me is that this document appears to
normalize the secretarial role, rather than simply saying
that chairs are able to delegate various tasks.  There
appears to be a formal vesting of responsibility in working
group secretaries.

I would love to work on the text that you feel normalising or formalising. My
reading doesn't convey that to me, and speaking with the authors it is not their
intention.

So it should be possible to reach agreement on text changes that would take this
tone out of your reading.

But, it is a little hard for those of us who don't see an issue with the text to
make suitable changes. Could you point us the sentences that are giving you a
problem and maybe suggest replacement words?

I like Ralph's proposal to update 2418 to allow for
wg secretary access to working group tools.

That's good. I believe Ralph is looking for a co-author  :-)

Otherwise
my preference would be to continue to keep the focus on
chair responsibilities, including chair delegation of
various tasks.  Secretaries are fine but I really
dislike seeing the role institutionalized.

And again, there is no intention to institutionalise so can you help us remove
that tone from the document?

Thanks,
Adrian