Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY

2015-02-12 07:02:39
On Feb 12, 2015, at 1:57 AM, Russ Housley <housley(_at_)vigilsec(_dot_)com>
wrote:
I see the 3/5 attendance record as a means to ensure that the potential
NomCom voting member is familiar with the culture of the IETF and that they
are aware of the current issues that are facing the IETF, at leas in the
portion of the IETF where they are active.  I see (b) as a way to determine
continued participation, but it can be done in a fashion that is quite
isolated.  In my view, we want to encourage participation in the IETF
community.

That's why the 3/5 is how you get in, and continued participation is how you
stay.   I think your point about IETF culture is right, but it's ridiculous to
think that an organization that invented and that continues to invent the
Internet has to have in-person carbonfests every four months in order to be
effective, and I don't think it's true.   Requiring mostly in-person attendance
to maintain cultural relevance is not necessary, and goes against what we have
been trying to achieve.