Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY

2015-02-13 13:01:33
On Fri, Feb 13, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On 2/13/15 8:44 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
Moreover, if you accept that the word "culture" is effectively
indistinguishable to outsiders from the term "status quo" (though the
intent is obviously different), it's really quite revealing. All this
"preserving the culture" talk comes out in an entirely different light.

I think this is a really important comment.  I mean,
*really* important comment.

But it also seems to me pretty clear that the culture
is changing, anyway, and it's one of those things that
I expect most people know without addressing it directly.
I don't think meetings were so heavily emphasized 10
years ago, although that's subjective and could be wrong.
[...]

I'm not so sure I agree that there's active effort to preserve the culture,
or emphasize the importance of same when selecting NomCom members.  Rather,
it's important to have people on the NomCom that at least understand the
culture as it is now; an understanding of the past and present is important
to identify what we need for the future.  Sometimes we need to select
candidates to continue work along the current path, and sometimes we need
to select candidates that can take us in a better direction when it's
obvious that improvement is needed.

-MSK