Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY

2015-02-12 00:58:37
On Feb 11, 2015, at 5:10 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Michael Richardson
<mcr+ietf(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca> wrote:
Assuming that you did not contribute for three years in anyway:

Not three but four, right?

   wrote/submitted no documents, never presented remotely in a meeting, etc.
then at IETF97 (5 meetings after IETF92, assuming you attended that one),
you would become ineligible, and you'd have to attend 3/5 again to become
eligible.  You'd have to come to IETF104,105, and 106.

OK, so just to confirm:

(a) Attend 3/5 to become eligible.  That's easy to verify from the records we
keep; you either did or you didn't.

(b) For maintaining eligibility, we need to nail down how this gets
evaluated.  Is it something like this?

After attaining initial eligibility, eligibility is maintained by
"contributing" at least twice during every calendar four-year period.  This
is essentially a sliding window four years wide, during which there must be
two recorded contributions for every consecutive four-year window in order
for eligibility to continue.

I'm not accepting that this approach is making things better.

I see the 3/5 attendance record as a means to ensure that the potential NomCom
voting member is familiar with the culture of the IETF and that they are aware
of the current issues that are facing the IETF, at leas in the portion of the
IETF where they are active.  I see (b) as a way to determine continued
participation, but it can be done in a fashion that is quite isolated.  In my
view, we want to encourage participation in the IETF community.

Russ