Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY

2015-02-13 23:41:44

On Feb 13, 2015, at 8:27 PM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 2/13/15 7:04 PM, Lixia Zhang wrote:
I noticed this subject line has been a long running thread and I have
not read it all, but I'd really like to repeat Michael's comment
here: the nomcom can't produce diversity; it only filter the input
for the best people.  Thus the solution of getting diversity is not
at nomcom, but the overall IETF process.

I think that's largely true but I don't think it's the entire story.
I do think the nomcom could be weighting criteria differently or
changing parameters in ways that might get make things easier to
get candidates who don't fit the current mold.

not sure what's the thought behind "changing parameters"; some examples would
be helpful.
weighting criteria differently: again, could this be stated more explicitly?
How should we weigh different criteria, in particular competency vs diversity?

Lixia