Re: IETF Hackathon at IETF 92, March 21-22, Dallas, TX

2015-02-25 14:04:29

On Feb 25, 2015:2:48 PM, at 2:48 PM, Ted Lemon
<Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Feb 25, 2015, at 2:46 PM, Thomas D. Nadeau
<tnadeau(_at_)lucidvision(_dot_)com> wrote:
Its a bit offensive to be courted with signup for Cisco's dev net program
after clicking on an apparently IETF-sponsored link. The point I was making
earlier is that its inappropriate based
on the IETF's past approach to these things. No one has given a good reason
why either.

I think offensive is the wrong word.   It is a mistake, because most IETFers
won't do it.   The right way to express this is to say "I don't think IETFers
are going to do this, and I'm certainly not.   Can you set up an IETF mailing
list and wiki for this?  Thanks!"
If the answer to that request is "hell no, we want the Cisco branding and
won't do the hackathon without people registering for our developer thingy,"
then I'd definitely be right there with you in objecting, but can't we take
it one step at a time?

        Thanks for your advice on etiquette Ted.  I'll keep that in mind for
future communications.
In the time being I still think its in bad taste; at best its not the way we've
done things at the IETF.

        --Tom