Re: IETF Hackathon at IETF 92, March 21-22, Dallas, TX

2015-02-25 18:44:44
Hi Melinda,

I know it is short notice, but we can add another technology if you or someone
else can act as a champion for it and help mentor other participants. That is
all that is required. Otherwise, we can certainly add it to the list for IETF
93.

Cheers,
Charles

From: Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com<mailto:melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>>
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 4:36 PM
To: Andrew Sullivan
<ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com<mailto:ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com>>
Cc: "ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org<mailto:ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>"
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org<mailto:ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>>
Subject: Re: IETF Hackathon at IETF 92, March 21-22, Dallas, TX

On Feb 25, 2015 3:16 PM, "Andrew Sullivan"
<ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com<mailto:ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com>>
wrote:

But complaining about one company's promotion of its products
by suggesting an alternative company that does something extremely
similar sounds to me like a complaint about the particular company,
and not about the technique.

I don't think Github is the right answer here - we've got our own tools, let's
use them - but I don't think the situations are comparable in that Github
didn't organize the event, did not choose the subject technologies, and is not
offering prizes under the IETF banner as enticements to IETF participants to
work on things that aren't IETF work items but that they're trying to get
picked up.  So, I don't think they're that similar.  (Did nobody really think
about this?)

Melinda