Re: IETF Hackathon at IETF 92, March 21-22, Dallas, TX

2015-02-25 15:11:19
On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 11:17:27AM -0900, Melinda Shore wrote:
The "community" page requires a Cisco login.  Regardless, wouldn't it
makes sense to answer the questions where they're being asked?

Then it's not a community page, as you imply.

I've nothing against a vendor sponsoring an IETF hackathon.  I've
nothing against advertising for the sponsor on the hackathon page.  I've
not even got anything against the hackathon focusing on technologies of
interest to the sponsoring vendor: those of us who have other
technologies we'd rather work on can organize our own.  There may be a
question keeping general meeting revenue from funding such a constrained
*and* sponsored hackathon.

I've also got nothing against a vendor [whose employees participate at
the IETF] piggybacking on an IETF meeting by co-locating their events in
the same city, same general area of the same city, and even the same
conference venue, provided that they a) don't use IETF meeting revenue
to fund their events, and b) don't compete for time slots with the IETF.
We can't do anything about (b), of course, but we can do something about
(a).

I'm not happy with vendor logins on an IETF page of any kind.

Also, the IETF NOTE WELL should apply to any IETF hackathon, and any
deviation from that would definitely require discussion *ahead* of the
announcement of the hackathon.

BTW, this thread has already cost quite a lot of labor.  Setting rules
of the road for sponsoring IETF events related/overlapping/co-located
to/with an IETF meeting is key to not doing this again.

Nico