Re: "Blue sheets" [ Interim meetings - changing the way we work]

2015-02-26 04:10:34
---- Original Message -----
From: "Benson Schliesser" <bensons(_at_)queuefull(_dot_)net>
To: "Brian E Carpenter" <brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 4:53 AM

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
According to BCP 25 (RFC 2418) minutes are mandatory ("shall") and
the
list of attendees is a lower-case "should":
Personally I think it should have been a MUST because of verifying
IPR disclosure obligations.

It's worth noting that the IESG guidance at
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/interim-meetings.html says the
attendee list "must" be submitted. And I'm happy to follow that
guidance.

Of course, chairs being required to submit blue sheets is not the same
as attendees being required to sign them.

On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any reason why a chair
would
be prohibited from collecting names for the blue sheets in whatever
way
is most convenient. (E.g. WebEx logs for virtual interim meetings) If
that conflicts with an attendee's desire to avoid signing the blue
sheets, then I suppose the chair's prerogative takes precedence.

I see two related requirements.  One is 'Blue Sheets', the desire to
have a complete record of participants, perhaps for IPR reasons, but
that was not the  one that triggered my initial post.

Rather, what drives me is the increased difficulty of knowing what is
going on if all one has to go on is the WG e-mail list (changing the way
we work).  Contributions from unidentified or unidentifiable people at a
virtual interim is a part of this (perhaps giving a sense that the WG is
becoming more of a closed shop and if you do not participate in these
many virtual interims, then you can no longer be part of things).

So whether or not there is a public 'Blue Sheet' for an interim,
recording all those who 'dialled in', whether or not they remained
silent thereafter, I think there should be an identifier associated with
contributions as recorded in the minutes.  If you are there, you will
likely know who 'Tom' is (Nadeau, Ritter, Thorogood, Taylor, Sanders,
...).  After all, at physical meetings the chairs frequently ask
speakers at the mike to identify themselves and this is then recorded in
the minutes.

I believe we need the same, probably more so, for virtual interims.  As
I mentioned before, netmod and netconf WGs manage it, I would like
others to do the same.

Tom Petch

Cheers,
-Benson