Re: Interim meetings - changing the way we work

2015-02-26 06:09:28
On Feb 26, 2015, at 6:01 AM, Benoit Claise <bclaise(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:
People are having interim meetings because a one or two day meeting on one
topic is a lot more productive than an IETF WG session.
Or because weekly meetings are more efficient.

Well, they certainly get more done.   I think 6tisch does bi-weekly meetings
because it allows them to keep momentum and make continuous forward progress
between IETFs.   I think this is a really good thing, although I agree with the
observation that such meetings make things harder for people who are not able
to be full-time contributors.

I think there is a real tension between a high clock rate enabling a good rate
of progress and a too-high clock rate excluding participants.   I don't think
there's an easy answer to this: I think that participants who are less able to
attend than they would like need to have conversations with their working group
chairs and/or ADs to see if the clock rate can be slowed somewhat without
damaging the effectiveness of the working group.   I don't think there will
ever be one answer to this that applies to all working groups.