Re: Interim meetings - changing the way we work

2015-02-26 13:53:11
On 27/02/2015 08:21, Benson Schliesser wrote:
Ted Lemon wrote:
we in fact do do work during f2f meetings, and the rule is "confirm
on the mailing list."   If working groups are not following that same
practice during interim meetings, they are doing it wrong.

I agree with this. In particular, I think the best mindset is that a WG's
mailing list is the authoritative record. Decisions
that happen in any sort of meeting are tentative until they find their way to
the mailing list. (BTW: I think this helps avoid
the dependence on having great minutes taken by volunteers, and the
inevitable disappointment that brings.)

Sure. But that means that the WG chairs (or secretary) have a strong
obligation to send *detailed* explanations of issues raised and proposed
resolutions to the mailing list, promptly, i.e. the same day or the
next day, asking for discussion and opinions. I'd think (from experience)
that for each hour of teleconference, that would take a half hour of
drafting a careful email. If you don't do that, you are disenfranchising
the people who could not attend the teleconference, which is not OK.