Re: Unhelpful draft names

2015-03-10 10:28:06
Nobody’s perfect.  I’ve been around the IETF since before there were IDs
and recently I managed to not get it quite right, which is why there is
currently both a draft-borman-tcp4way-00.txt and a
draft-borman-tcpm-tcp4way-01.txt.

Rather than focusing only on making sure everyone follows the conventions the
the right way the first time, it’d be nice to have an easy way to fix it.
When submitting an ID, it’d be nice to be able to specify a different named
document that this one replaces, so that the old one would be removed when
the new one is posted, just as what happens today when a new revision is
posted.  The tool already notifies the authors of the previous revision
when a new revision is posted, it could do the same thing for the previously
named document.  That way the rename wouldn’t happen unless the previous
author approved it.

And as previously suggested, a pop-up window to just say “are you sure?” with
a couple of examples if the name doesn’t follow the conventions would be useful
to prevent some mistakes, but a rename would allow mistakes to be easily fixed
and get the old name out of the I-Ds directory.

                -David Borman

On Mar 9, 2015, at 10:15 PM, Brian E Carpenter