Re: Drafts that can't be serious

2015-04-20 17:01:24
On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 5:08 PM, Dave Crocker <dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
wrote:

https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/removal-of-an-internet-draft.html
Exactly. We could always turn that into a BCP I suppose,

Separate from the usual question of the IESG setting IETF policy by
fiat, without explicitly developing IETF rough consensus, there's the
small matter of finding that policy about the handling of Internet Drafts.

A visitor to the ietf site, is not likely to wander through pages until
they find this policy.

Yup - new visitors to the IETF also seem to not quite understand what
an ID is - they seem to think that, because something is published as
an Internet Draft, and is on the IETF site it means that somehow the
IETF has vetted it or approves of it.

This has led to multiple instances where someone (often a reporter)
will find an ID and then claim that "the IETF believes" or "the IETF
thinks" $whatever is in the draft[0]. The last time this happened I
got fed up and wrote
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wkumari-not-a-draft-06

Rather, I'd expect anyone who is curious about
the draft 'series' to look at:

   ietf.org  ->  "Internet Drafts" <http://www.ietf.org/id-info/

There, the only the text they will see on removal is:

   "Internet-Drafts have no formal status, and are subject to change or
removal at any time;"

If the IESG statement is, in fact, IETF policy on Internet Draft
removal, it probably should be cited on that page.

Yup, and perhaps some text should be added to that page explaining
that anyone can put whatever ravings they want to into an ID - until
it is adopted by a WG, or sponsored, or accepted by the ISE, or <other
interesting paths> it has no standing?

[0]: I'm sure that this is often intentional, to increase readership...

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking