Re: Drafts that can't be serious

2015-04-20 15:00:14
Actually, this might be the start of a real problem. The ietf.org
has a great page rank value. Getting your domain into a url into
a draft on the IETF site has value. In this case, I noticed two
URLs that we would never put in real drafts, things to personal
domains where real authors would use "example.com". That's a very
simple objective rule that can be enforced. If we don't, we might
end up attracting spammers in attempts to bring up their page
ranking on search engines.

I would strongly suggest not making up new rules to solve problems
that do not currently exist and probably never will.  Two I-D's from
someone who doesn't understand the IETF does not make a crisis, and
there are much easier ways to do SEO gaming than to write fake drafts.

I have always found the vast majority of drafts that go by aren't
interesting to me because they're in areas I don't work in and don't
understand very well.  Skipping a few more because they're incoherent
isn't a problem.

On the other hand, a little grepping of the I-D directory finds 30
drafts with references to one of my personal domains, most in drafts I
did not write, and all in drafts that people would consider to be
serious.  I don't mind, but I expect your new robot might.

R's,
John