Re: Drafts that can't be serious

2015-04-20 23:17:45
Internet Drafts are documents that have been submitted to the IETF for
consideration.   They might reflect partial IETF consensus.   They may
also be in complete opposition to IETF consensus.   The only requirement
for publishing an I-D through the IETF process it that it bears
copyright and IPR notices, consistent with IETF rules.   It is
inappropriate to assert that I-Ds are a product of the IETF or to cite
them in any way except "as work in progress."

So, I think the above text goes a bit far, but it has some points that
might be worth incorporating, in the realm of disclaimers.

Perhaps:

The Internet-Draft circulation mechanism is open for anyone issuing
working documents; the documents have no formal status.  Some of these
documents are in development through the IETF, its areas or its working
groups, while others are not sponsored by the IETF and might be entirely
unrelated to its efforts.  In particular, Internet-Drafts are NOT
products of the IETF and should only be cited as "work in progress".

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking