Re: Proposed Statement on "HTTPS everywhere for the IETF"

2015-06-02 16:06:13
Hi Stewart,
On 02/06/2015 22:51, Stewart Bryant wrote:
I agree with the comments that the IETF should lead on
the technology and leave the societal and political
issues alone. Technology is our core skill and remit,
but sociology and politics are not.

Correct, but we have consistently (since the debate that led to
RFC 1984) taken the position that regulation that damages security
or privacy (e.g. by restricting encryption or mandating back doors)
is technically undesirable.

However, that isn't at issue here. It's simply the IETF following
some version of best practice, without sacrificing our commitment to
open development of open standards.

   Brian