RE: Proposed Statement on "HTTPS everywhere for the IETF"

2015-06-03 15:01:17
While I don't object to making the IETF content available via https/tls, this
proposed statement reads as political knee-jerk BS that is both unnecessary and
uncalled for. What the statement MUST focus on is 'data integrity', and SHOULD
NOT stoop to fear mongering over 'privacy'. "It is public data ..." For the
very small subset that is truly restricted access, it is fine to acknowledge
'privacy' as a concern, but for the vast majority of the content in question,
'data integrity' is the only real concern.

As such, I oppose the statement as written. Fix the tone and I will be a strong
supporter.

Tony

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF-Announce [mailto:ietf-announce-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf
Of The IESG
Sent: Monday, June 01, 2015 9:44 AM
To: IETF Announcement List
Subject: Proposed Statement on "HTTPS everywhere for the IETF"

Hi All,

The IESG are planning to agree an IESG statement on "HTTPS Everywhere for
the IETF," please see [1] for the current text.

We are seeking community feedback on this and welcome assistance from
the community in identifying any cases where a change or additional
guidance is needed to put this into effect.

The IESG plans to finalise this statement just after IETF-93 in Prague.

* Please send general feedback intended for discussion to
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

* Comments about specific issues arising can be sent to
iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org or
tools-discuss(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org as appropriate (use
iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org if not sure)

Regards,
Terry & Stephen (for the IESG)

[1] https://trac.tools.ietf.org/group/iesg/trac/wiki/HttpsEverywhere