RE: Proposed Statement on "HTTPS everywhere for the IETF"

2015-06-03 16:04:30
Stephen Farrell wrote:
Hi,

On 03/06/15 21:00, Tony Hain wrote:
While I don't object to making the IETF content available via
https/tls,

That's been done for ages. This just makes it the default. Which does
require some minor changes.

this proposed statement reads as political knee-jerk BS that is both
unnecessary and uncalled for. What the statement MUST focus on is
'data integrity', and SHOULD NOT stoop to fear mongering over
'privacy'.

I have to say the above seems somewhat overstated. (Where my use of
"somewhat" is understatement:-)

How is taking a position that technical accuracy of the IETF content is
critical an overstatement?

"It is public data ..." For the very small subset that is truly
restricted access, it is fine to acknowledge 'privacy'
as a concern, but for the vast majority of the content in question,
'data integrity' is the only real concern.

I would assert that the existence of the dprive WG is good evidence that the
IETF does not consider data-integrity as the only real concern for public
data.

And I would assert that it shows a group-think knee-jerk overreaction to
threats that hypothetically could be applied in broader contexts than history
documents. We are both free to express our own assertions.

I'd also note that there is no TLS ciphersuite that satisfies BCP195 and that
only provides data integrity. That very recent IETF consensus document says
one MUST NOT negotiate any of the ciphersuites with NULL encryption
(essentially outside of testing/debug). So what you appear to want this
statement to say would seem to be inconsistent with IETF consensus.

I never argued FOR null encryption. My point was that 'privacy' is not a
technical need in this case. It may come about as a side effect, but the
proposed statement as written is not focused on the technical requirement of
the IETF. It is instead a political statement that has no technical
justification based on the needs of the community. To be clear, the technical
need is data integrity. The implementation MAY provide privacy, and given
current technologies likely will.

Tony

Cheers,
S.

As such, I oppose the statement as written. Fix the tone and I will be
a strong supporter.

Tony

-----Original Message----- From: IETF-Announce