Re: Last Call: Recognising RFC1984 as a BCP

2015-08-20 15:53:21
On 21/08/2015 03:30, John Curran wrote:
On Aug 20, 2015, at 10:47 AM, Randy Bush <randy(_at_)psg(_dot_)com> wrote:

It’s quite possible that the appropriate tradeoff for society
continues to be that as documented in RFC1984, but it should be
recognized as an actual tradeoff and not an an approach without any
impact to lawful enforcement activities (as might be implied from your
comments above.)

sorry, i can't resist

We should not be building surveillance technology into standards.  Law
enforcement was not supposed to be easy.  Where it is easy, it's called a
police state.  -- Jeff Schiller

Randy -

  Actually, that is a perfect example of my point - Jeff’s quote (with respect
  to not including surveillance technology) actually acknowledges that there
  is an impact as a result that choice; i.e. ‘LE not supposed to be easy.’

  That’s quite different than some of the assertions on this list implying
that
  RFC1984 has no impact to LEA activities…

I hope I've been consistent in asserting that it has no effect on *seriously
bad actors*. Small time crooks and run of the mill copyright infringers are
a different matter, but there are other ways of catching them.

   Brian

  If the IETF is going to make
  a statement, it should be an intellectually honest one and acknowledge
  that there could be an LEA impact, but even so, that outcome is still the
  desirable tradeoff in the circumstances.

/John

Disclaimer: my views alone.

.