RE: Google threatens to break Gmail

2015-10-29 11:06:53
Neils, the question is, why is it so hard to set up your own mail server and
have it basically do what you need?   Is it because it's really that hard, or
is it because the right tools don't exist, or the problem hasn't been properly
reduced to practice?   I think it's more the latter than the former.   It
sounds like Postfix has improved since I last did a Postfix configuration, but
it's still got too many knobs, because it addresses too many disjoint use
cases.   And it looks like mailpile is starting to wrestle with the identity
problem in a useful way, and there is other interesting work going on in the
usability/identity/security areas, but I'm not hearing people here talk about
how that's being worked on in the IETF.   I would hate to see a bunch of ad-hoc
protocols with no spec and no interop.