Re: Hotel situation

2015-12-17 03:37:01
On 17 Dec 2015, at 01:54, John Levine <johnl(_at_)taugh(_dot_)com> wrote:

But have we had over 1,000 rooms in one venue in recent memory?

Not that I recall, but there's generally been reasonable alternatives
within a few blocks.  The B.A. Hilton is in a dramatic location, but
it's a long way from anything else.

Just a question of how far a “few blocks” is… some people prefer the
all-in-one option (for a variety of very valid reasons), others like to find
a cheaper hotel and/or perhaps embed themselves in local culture a
little more than you can in a cookie-cutter Hilton.

Does the post-meeting survey ask people if they got the accommodation
of choice? Might be interesting to know how many people really wanted
to be in the main meeting hotel but couldn’t do so. It may be a small,
but vocal, minority, or it may be many more, but such a question would
help inform the organisers on main hotel sizing.

Looking at IETF 96 in Berlin, the InterContinental Berlin only has 558 rooms
and suites, and the Conrad
Seoul for IETF 97 has 434 rooms.

The last time we were in Berlin I stayed at the reasonably priced
Hotel L�tzow which was about three blocks from the IC, and there were
plenty of other hotels in the immediate area.

I recall the options in Berlin are good. Just pointing out that the people
hoping for a big change to current practice aren’t going to see it in the
immediate future.

Tim

R's,
John

PS: I am not faulting the IAOC for any of this.  Once we made the
commitment to go to Argentina, the options are pretty limited.  There
are for example lots of hotels close to each other in Mar del Plata
where ICANN met a decade ago, but I suspect the six hour bus trip
across the pampas from the B.A. airport might provoke a few complaints.