Re: Hotel situation

2015-12-18 12:47:33
On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 12:41 PM Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

On 12/18/15 8:20 AM, Warren Kumari wrote:
5: Some set of folk think that planning a meeting and choosing a
location is easy.

I doubt anybody thinks it's easy.  I think most of us
who have a problem with the meeting situation are aware
that it's quite difficult.

Speaking strictly for myself, my problem with what's been
going on is that on the one hand we are de facto making meetings
the center of IETF activity for most participants and yet we're
not trying to optimize around the effectiveness of the meeting
space.  I think we possibly could do something around the
former but I don't think it's likely we will, based on both past
discussion and the behavior of very many very experienced
working group chairs (another discussion).  But we've got
two situations in tension with each other.

I don't think your characterization is correct or reasonable
and I found your comments a bit dismissive.

I became frustrated by the fact that there almost always seems to be a
thread where the tone is that the IAOC / meeting selection screwed up, and
that they should be optimizing for Y instead[0].

Meeting locations are always going to be a compromise, involving complex
(and shifting) tradeoffs and constraints. I believe that the IAOC / meeting
selection committee is trying very hard to meet the criteria, and it feels
to me that the tone of these discussions often doesn't give them enough
credit...

I was not intending to be dismissive (nor to imply any any specific person
was in any particular group); my frustration may have caused my to a:
oversimplify and b: word things poorly.

I apologize,

[0]: Where Y seems to change.

Melinda