Re: Hotel situation

2015-12-18 13:00:38
On 12/18/2015 9:44 AM, Michal Krsek wrote:
If we want to open the IETF to "foreigners" we need to go there

The IETF already goes everywhere and always has.  Mailing lists are open
to all, free, accessible everywhere, and remain the formal base of
authority for working group decisions.

As for the recruiting benefits of having a face-to-face meeting in a new
area of the world, it is an entirely appealing idea, but I believe there
is no objective data demonstrating that this is effective, or at least
none within the last 15 years.

The basic rule is supposed to be that we go where the workers /already/
are (or, at least where they already are emerging from.)  The
alternative is to inconvenience 1200-1500 existing participants on the
very high-risk gamble that the IETF will pick up a few new ones.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking