Re: Virtual BOFs

2016-01-09 12:40:38

On 10/01/2016 03:54, John C Klensin wrote:
Probably an excellent idea, especially since I can only see four
possible outcomes from any given attempt:

(1) "We know enough now, form the WG".  In that case, we save
calendar and meeting time and are able to get on with the work
sooner.

(2) "This is conclusively a bad idea or not ready for IETF work"
or "it is now clear that no one other than the author cares".
As with the above, saves time and allows us to get on with our
lives.

(3) "Don't know enough, need either another virtual meeting or
an in-person BOF".   In that case, we haven't really lost
anything and probably have more information than we would have
had from mailing list discussion alone.

(4) "Couldn't make a determination, due eitherto lack of
attendance by key people or some technical issue.".   As with
(3), little has been lost and we can always hold a physical BOF
under traditional rules if needed.

Speaking from the time-zone-challenged corner, I see a high risk
of hitting (4) rather frequently. Of course you can argue that
there is also a high risk of hitting (4) with face2face BOFs at
unpopular destinations.

That said, it does seem worth a try.

   Brian

Each of those seems to me to be a win, although in different
ways.  Equally useful, if we encouraged people to hold these
virtual sessions well before the request cut-off date for
in-meeting BOFs, those who requested them will be able to submit
normal request if needed, will have more information, and IETF
work will be better spread out between meetings.

best,
    john