Re: ietf.org unaccessible for Tor users

2016-03-15 06:59:45
If it is necessary then that suggests a prioritised IETF workplan.
Stephen Farrell <mailto:stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie>
15 March 2016 at 11:39

I believe there have been attacks in the past that had they
been at larger scale could have taken the IETF site offline.
CF are a mitigation for that. I think some such mitigation
is sadly necessary. But I also think we want that to work
better, to not track folks and to not get in the way of access,
unless taking such actions is really necessary. (I don't think
it is myself, at least not in the normal course of events, but
then I don't see the operations stuff.)

Cheers,
S.

Christian de Larrinaga <mailto:cdel(_at_)firsthand(_dot_)net>
15 March 2016 at 11:34
With respect that is not the reasoning.

Cloudflare are intercepting access from some IPs and imposing a man in
the middle dialogue before "granting" access to
https://www.ietf.org/rfc.html

e.g. This is the report I get below a captcha - CloudFlare Ray ID:
283f99aee908294a • Your IP: 93.115.95.206 • Performance & security by
CloudFlare

There may be other usability issues with the ietf site such as
javascript use but that is a separate issue I think to having a traffic
policeman standing permanently in the middle of the road.

The question is does IETF need that policeman to do that filtering? Is
it desirable? I don't get the sense that it is.

Christian
Christian de Larrinaga <mailto:cdel(_at_)firsthand(_dot_)net>
15 March 2016 at 11:30
With respect that is not the reasoning.

Cloudflare are intercepting access from some IPs and imposing a man in
the middle dialogue before "granting" access to
https://www.ietf.org/rfc.html

e.g. This is the report I get below a captcha -  CloudFlare Ray ID:
283f99aee908294a • Your IP: 93.115.95.206 • Performance & security by
CloudFlare

There may be other usability issues with the ietf site such as
javascript use but that is a separate issue I think to having a
traffic policeman standing permanently in the middle of the road.

The question is does IETF need that policeman to do that filtering? Is
it desirable? I don't get the sense that it is.

Christian
Eliot Lear <mailto:lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
15 March 2016 at 10:25

By the logic nobody should use a Tor browser. That way we have one
Internet.

Christian de Larrinaga <mailto:cdel(_at_)firsthand(_dot_)net>
15 March 2016 at 10:18
One Internet or something?

--
Christian de Larrinaga  FBCS, CITP,