Re: "We did not know" is not a good excuse

2016-04-06 21:38:02
On 4/6/16 6:19 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
Anything less specific leaves too much to interpretation, which
guarantees that similar errors will recur.

The situation in Singapore goes well beyond being vaguely
homophobic, to actively criminalizing the families of some
IETF participants.  This is not simply a matter of same-sex
marriage not being legal there, or of the country lacking
anti-discrimination laws.

I am not surprised that any given person might not be
familiar with the situation in Singapore and/or did not
think to check out the human rights situation, but I am
quite surprised that that was the case with a fair-sized
blob of people.  I do think that having broader diversity
among various bodies would make a terrific difference but
from my own experience I tend to think the economics of the
situation make that rather more difficult than loading up
the I* committees with people who share a number of demographic
traits.

Melinda