Re: "We did not know" is not a good excuse

2016-04-06 22:12:24
On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 10:38 AM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
On 4/6/16 6:19 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:

Anything less specific leaves too much to interpretation, which
guarantees that similar errors will recur.

The situation in Singapore goes well beyond being vaguely
homophobic, to actively criminalizing the families of some
IETF participants.  This is not simply a matter of same-sex
marriage not being legal there, or of the country lacking
anti-discrimination laws.

I would like to ask for validation and citation of what you are
saying above. I live in Singapore and yes, we do have the archaic
rules on our books (Section 377A of the Penal Code -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_377A_of_the_Penal_Code_%28Singapore%29)
This is a rule we inherited from our British colonial days.

I don't agree with that section, but it is there.

There are ongoing debates on withdrawing Section 377A and it
will happen eventually. It is a matter of time.

If there is any "active criminalizing" then how would this annual
event called pinkdot.sg (http://pinkdot.sg/) happen? The next
pinkdot.sg is on 4th June 2016. But, as it has been
in Singapore so far, open and honest dialogue is used to get to
a favourable resolution. It is still work in progress though.

So, let's keep discussions based on facts please.

Harish